The knot in my stomach has returned. My wife has to go in for more spinal surgery on wednesday.

She had two vertebrae fused last august. She has recovered completely from that surgery. The surgery involved removing the damaged cartilage and replacing it with donor bone tissue and holding the bones together with a small plate and a few screws. The bones have fused and she is pain free, but now she can feel the plate in the back of her throat. She says that it feels like she always has a pill stuck in the back of her throat.

After a visit to the doctor, it was decided that the plate should come out. According to the doctor, this happens sometimes. And of course it had to be my wife. Hasn't she suffered enough?

Oh my Dear, if I could I would take the pain for you.

The acid level in my stomach is up. I can't let her know how nervous I am about the whole thing. I have to be the pillar of strength that she leans against. With a little love, a little faith, and a lot of TUMS, I know I can make it.

We make the usual statements to each other, simple surgery, nothing will happen, and so on. Talk is cheap. I know that she and I won't be settled until she's out of recovery and in her hospital room.

It's not that I can't tell her how worried I am, but if I do, she'll get worried about getting me worried, and the cycle or worry will just get worse. After she has a few days to recover, I can tell her how worried I was, and we can both laugh about it.

Sweetheart, I love you so much. I know we can get through this just like we do everything else. Together.