Barely Legal, a men's magazine published by Larry Flynt's Hustler empire, offers pictorials of young, innocent 18- and 19-year-old girls...or so it claims. Unfortunately, as with most of Flynt's publications, Barely Legal tries too hard to be extreme and ends up just looking silly and repulsive.

See, if you think about it, teen porn is tricky: Somehow, you have to convince your audience that this lovely, innocent girl really wants to rip off her clothes and screw, screw, screw 'til she falls into a coma. Even the best magazines have trouble with this juxtaposition, but it's possible: You have to make it seem as though you captured her at the very moment that she cast off the bounds of chastity and blossomed into full sexual liberation. You must, in short, paint her as a true virgin whore.

Flynt and his minions completely lack the subtlety that this presentation requires. Girls in other teen-porn magazines often seduce you with sweet smiles or innocent looks, but in Barely Legal, these looks are so overexaggerated that the women look as though they've been drugged into submission or lobotomized. Likewise, good teen mags make their subjects look young and natural, but Flynt's makeup-slathered bimbos just look fake (no, Larry, you apish turd, you can't make a 30-year-old look 18 by putting her hair in pigtails and making her wear a Catholic school uniform). Most damning of all, it's a problem with the mag, not the women--a girl who looks wonderful in another mag will often look ghastly in Barely Legal.

If you really want a teen-porn mag, check out Tight (if you don't want penetration) or Hawk (if you do). Leave Flynt's trash rotting on the rack where it belongs.

Pictorials: 6-8
Girls: Fake teens
Penetration: Rare; finger
Lesbian: 0-1 per issue
Guy/Girl: 0-1 per issue
Group: Rare
Fetish: Occasional food/wet and messy
know_no_bounds's rating: * *