Well, perhaps I've been unlucky, but my experiences with CD's and that kind of things have been awful to say the least. Two CDROM drives have died on me, with a gradual agony spanning several months. Home's CD player died two years ago, got revived and died again. The cute Ricoh DVD/CDRW combo on my current system, sometimes won't recognize DVDs and audio CD's...

Even though I use appropiate cleaning fluids (which I didn't before), those problems persist. And I am not the only one with these kind of problems. Don't get me started on cd burning, because that would be another node (my drive seems to prefer certain brands over others, and really seems to have developed a personality of its own).

I have a cd I burned once that when inserted in my drives (and some other people's), crashes the computer.

Or you don't get the blues when you load a drive, it spins up, spins down, flashes the light and gets rejected. Of course, the computer seems to hang while doing this. I used to think that heat could be the problem, but no amounts of cooling could solve the problem. As I have no experiences with SCSI drives, my main theory is that the IDE stuff is very hard drive biased, and when the CD drive has a faith crisis, the entire system hangs on to it.

Another theory is that CD's are one of the first computer technologies which have been popularized in Wintel systems, and their evolution has followed the platform's irks and peculiarities. Even so, my dear trusty Amiga used to have those problems (but it used IDE).

Is this the working of the Gods? Do I have to pray to the Spinning Disc?

F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1, F1 ...