"ELEVATOR"

 

PLOT: Two ex-colleagues cross paths in a business tower lobby, chance only permitting their time in an elevator to catch up.


(At the centre, towards the rear of the stage, a smartly dressed man (FRANK) with a plastic telescoping blueprint tube over his shoulder is pacing nervously, occasionally glancing at his watch. A woman (LOUISE) with tousled hair, carrying a large brown envelope, handbag and tote bag runs in, stage left; walks past him. A projection behind them shows the elevator display. This indicates what floor the elevator is at. The elevator panel need not be a prop - it can be mimed).



FRANK: (Teasingly.) Good morning Miss Margera. Late for work?

LOUISE: Actually I don't start till... (notices him) Frank! How... what are you doing here?

FRANK. Meeting on the second floor.

LOUISE: (Flustered.) Ah, I guess you're meeting... so how are the... how's work?

FRANK: Fine, fine. And you?

(They begin walking forwards).

LOUISE: Dense apart hotel project. Neverending.

FRANK: Hate those - such a waste of time. What do you have there?

LOUISE: Competition. Remodelling of a theatre in...

FRANK: (Glances at the elevator display, cuts her off) You look different. Your hair?

SOUND: ELEVATOR OPENING "GROUND FLOOR"

LOUISE: Well it's been a long time since...

FRANK: After you.

(She steps in i.e. she takes two steps right. He follows.)

SOUND: ELEVATOR CLOSING


(LIGHTS: Overall lights are dimmed. Spotlight directly above the two characters, pointing downwards. This is the elevator.)


LOUISE: (Hitting the elevator panel behind Frank). Your floor?

FRANK: Oh. Two. (Runs his fingers carelessly across the panel).

(Few moments of awkward silence. She looks in the general direction of her shoes. He never removes his gaze towards her.)

LOUISE: You know what... you wouldn't believe what I have in my bag. Remember?

FRANK: The Thornton drawings.

(Note that in the following piece, Louise and Frank finish off each others sentences - this should seem as a matter of coincidence and must sound like "1998? Right. I guessed I've missed you too".)

LOUISE: Rebecca had heard about it. I haven't let anyone see this since...

SOUND: ELEVATOR OPENING

FRANK: 199...

SOUND: "EIGHTH FLOOR"

LOUISE. Eight? Right. I guess I've missed...

FRANK: You (inaudible:) know...

(LIGHTS: ON)

LOUISE: Two.

(For the first time, she looks straight into his eyes. Her expression is sullen.)

SOUND: ELEVATOR CLOSING

LOUISE: Good seeing you, Frank...

FRANK. Louise.

LIGHTS: BLACKOUT