Space Ghost Coast to Coast - Episode Guide
Season 6 - Episode 75 - First aired December 10th, 1999

Previous Episode - "Fire Ant" - Next Episode

Guest: Conan O'Brien
Written by: Dave Willis, Matt Maiellaro, Pete Smith, Jim Fortier, Mark Banker

The episode starts with Conan O'Brien being lowered from the ceiling in the monitor while theme music is played. Space Ghost is then lowered from a harness and wires while Conan watches. Space Ghost asks Moltar to attach a speaker to his head because "world hunger is something that affects us all." After Moltar screws the speaker on to his head it emits a variety of buzzing and static. After Space Ghost demands Moltar removes the speaker, Moltar informs Space Ghost of an imminent calamity:

Moltar: No rush, but...uh...Alpha Centauri's gonna explode in about 15 seconds.
Space Ghost: And you know of this?
Moltar: Yeah, some friends of mine are doing it.
Space Ghost: Gas up the wench, and I'll need some longer straps. So get me the catalog, my stationery and...
Something explodes in the distance
Space Ghost: There's no time! Now hoist me to Alpha Centauri!


Space Ghost begins to ascend towards the ceiling to music when one of the wires on his harness breaks. While Space Ghost is swinging back and forth on the wire he and Zorak have a brief discussion about how they fixed it the last time he was dangling from the ceiling. They agree on beating Space Ghost with sticks until he falls down, which they do in short order. After Space Ghost falls from the wire, the interview proper starts. Rather quickly, Space Ghost and Conan start bickering over Space Ghost's superhero origins.

Conan O'Brien: Space Ghost is obviously a space man who died and became a space ghost. Now, I know that you don't want the kids to know that you died, Boo hoo hoo, but you died, baby! And you got to get down with that.
Space Ghost: No!
Conan O'Brien: Face it, Space Ghost!
Space Ghost: NO!
Conan O'Brien: You're a space man that choked on a muffin!
Space Ghost: That, sir, is impossible because I am allergic to muffins!

Space Ghost then lectures Conan on the WB's programming standards. He gets worked up enough to slam his fist into the table hard enough that his hand bursts into flames. The interview starts to seriously falter here, as Space Ghost has a hard time reading his notes as they are on fire. The flames spread over his whole body while Conan O'Brien makes fun of the sixties Space Ghost show. Space Ghost has a flash back sequence from the show featuring chanting monsters. When the flash back ends, Moltar and Zorak explain to Conan how the sixties show ruined their careers. There is some confusion about which person was Zorak and which was Moltar so Zorak claims that he's Wallace.

Space Ghost: Let's say Zorak was Wallace.
Zorak: I am.
Space Ghost: What would you do with Wild Wallace?
Conan O'Brien: I think what I'd do at first, is I'd hold out my arms like this.
Conan holds his arms out in front of him
Space Ghost: And shove him to death? Oh, good one.


A discussion of weapons ensues. Space Ghost becomes very cold towards Conan after he admits that he doesn't have a weapon. Space Ghost becomes distracted by an ant crawling near his desk. The ant bites him so he blasts it with his power bands. Conan then goes on a rant about what an awful interviewer and person Space Ghost is. Space Ghost again becomes distracted by an ant crawling under his desk. He decided that the new ant is the original ant's twin brother, there to avenge his brother's death.

Space Ghost: I'm gonna follow him home. Kill his whole family.
Conan O'Brien: Well, Space Ghost, at the end of an interview, it's traditional for the talk show host to say, "Thanks for being here, Conan. This was Conan O'Brien. Check out his show on NBC at 12:35." You didn't do that. You completely blew me off. For all these people know, my show is a cop show on, uh, Fox or something, thanks to you.
Space Ghost: Isn't it?


This is where the short version and the long version of the episode diverge. In the long version, Conan O'Brien chats briefly with Moltar and Zorak while Space Ghost follows the ant off the set. There is then a 10 minute sequence of Space Ghost following the ant. After the trek, he finally arrives at the ant's home. The door opens and a giant ant is standing there. He demands to know what the giant ant is going to do about his son biting Space Ghost. The giant ant then chases Space Ghost as Space Ghost shouts "Your son is a moron!"

In the short version, it cuts from the studio to a screen reading "The Next Day" straight to Space Ghost arriving at the ant's home. Presumably this is because having a ten minute sequence of Space Ghost slowly following an ant was a silly idea in the first place.

Resources:
Watching the episode too often.
http://snard.com/sg/guide/?ep=75&fmt=0
Oh, and I stole DyRE's layout.