It is also worth noting that the various cases of shock tend to progress in severity in three stages:

Compensatory Shock

Compensatory shock is the body's natural reaction to the trauma that it has received. During this phase, the body may cope well enough that symptoms of shock are not noticeable, or symptoms of compensatory shock may manifest themselves. These symptoms may include anxiety; cool, clammy skin; thirst; vomiting; and lightheadedness. If treatment is received during this phase of shock, prognosis is good for a full recovery.

Decompensatory (or Progressive) Shock

In this phase of shock, the body can no longer care for itself, and gradual systemic shutdown begins to occur. Symptoms of decompensatory shock may include a decreased level of consciousness; profuse sweating; Caucasian skin becomes pale white or grey, while darker skin may turn cyanotic; shallow breathing; rapid pulse; and low blood pressure. If treatment is not received now, it is likely that the patient will slip into the third stage of shock.

Irreversible Shock

In this final phase, the heart, brain, and other organs sustain major damage as a result of hypoxia. The result is usually death. Some patients may survive, but will have incurred irreversible cellular damage to vital organs. Treatment in this phase is usually ineffective, as the body is beginning to die rapidly. Symptoms of irreversible shock may include the patient becoming unresponsive; cold white or gray skin; slow or no heart rate; undetectable pulse; labored, shallow breathing; and an undetectable blood pressure.

The most efficient methods of treatment are stated above in gwenllian's writeup. There is little that an average person may do to treat shock, the most important thing is to seek professional assistance immediately, as patients suffering from shock can have their conditions rapidly deteriorate in a matter of two to three hours.