A lucid dream can be more. Not just a change of reality in a dream. It can be a window into your brain. You can figure out what your fears, hopes, dreams are. You can find out the meaning of life. You can contact spirits. You can use it as a springboard onto astral projections. You can have the ability to control anything and everything in the dream ( if you work at it). Lucid dreams aren't as rare as you might think. It's true that lucid dreams comes naturally to some few lucky people. But you can attempt to induce them yourself. There are many techniques that you can use.

  • The Dream journal- Write down your dreams in a notebook. Re-read it everyday and note strange things that have happened in your dreams. Categorize the strange things into groups. Then focus on why its strange and why it wouldn't happen in the real world.
  • Look at your hands every hour. In dreams, if you look at your hands, for some reason, the dream world will distort and you have a good chance of knowing that you are dreaming.
  • Whenever you get the chance, think about why you are currently not in a dream and what you would do if this were a dream and you could do anything you wanted.
  • Type out on a computer many times that you are going to have a lucid dream
  • Go consult a hypnotist and see if he can hypnotize you.
  • While falling asleep, tell yourself that you will wake up once you have a dream. When you do wake up, tell yourself, it was a dream and i can awaken in it.
  • Eat strange or spicy foods that will cause you to have very weird dreams or nightmares. It is more likely that you will know it is a dream
  • Take naps. Some people experience more lucid dreams if they are napping.
  • Sleep more hours per day. Dreams are more clear if you have lots of sleep
  • Try reading something twice in a dream. Or for that matter, try reading anything! Most people cannot read in dreams.
  • Stare at a painting by Rene Magritte. He will blow your mind so that you have a lucid dream.
  • Read a Carlos Castaneda dream. He will blow your mind as well, and you will have a lucid dream.
    In case you think this is a very occult or odd phenomenon, there is a scientist named Stephen LaBerge of Stanford University who is conducting scientific research on lucid dreams. He has several great books, both of the techniques and science behind lucid dreams.
On a more personal note, a lucid dream I once had: I was in my living room playing baseball when I looked at my hands. My vision got blurry and I felt tipsy and realized it was a dream. I ran out the door and jumped up and flew. I flew around and look at the ground which was filled with bright orange leaves of unimaginable beauty. I flew and flew until I woke up. That is an example of what lucid dreams can be.