Some things have the power to touch us, to arouse our senses, to leave us hopelessly distracted when it comes to the rest of the world. Some sensations can just disconnect us from reality entirely. These are the things that you never want to forget. These are things that you want to last forever. But they fade, they always fade, no matter how hard you try to remember. They no longer have that power to enrapture absolutely. What once enthralled you has been replaced in a continuous cycle of new memories and new experiences.

I am reminded specifically of my ex-boyfriend's cologne. It was one of the first things I noticed about him, a clue that he was there, or would be there soon. It was my olfactory cue, that warm, rich smell that surrounded me when we touched. I liked the way his smell and my smell combined. I liked the way we flooded each others senses, and how easy it was to drown. But nothing lasts forever.

I'm one of those kleptomaniac girlfriends; over the course of our relationship I filched half a dozen assorted T-shirts and sweatshirts, all steeped in the smell of him. I still have them, but he is gone, and now, with the scent wearing out of them, it is both disconcerting and heartening to discover that I am becoming immune.