Hard to believe if you're not coming from a scientific background -- it blew my mind when I read an article referencing this last week. It wasn't even the main thrust of the article, but was illustrated as an accepted truth in scientific realms. Of those realms, my liberal arts lily-white ass knows very little.

So why is gravity weak(er)? Well, let's compare it to electromagnetic attraction / repulsion. We've all used electromagnets, I would venture, for some sort of science project or miscellaneous time killer. Personally, I was much more in awe of gravity than I was of my electrically charged nail at that age. Little did I know that my magnet could kick gravity's ass without breaking a sweat. Here's the proof: Picture two orange balls. They're orange because it's easier for me that way. Now, imagine both of those balls are carrying negative charges. They will repulse each other, like magnets whose like poles face each other.

What is gravity? Essentially, it's the tendency for matter to congregate. Any object with mass exerts an attractive pull on other objects. So, those two orange balls are under the influence of gravity -- I.E. gravity is trying to bring them together.

But, as anyone who's played with magnets can attest, there's no fucking way they'll come together. Obviously, this particular knowledge isn't hard to come by -- it's just a lesson in how widely things apply. I, for one, never once considered that magnetic repulsion was in any way contrary to gravity.

Theories on why gravity is so weak are being bandied about, with one being that gravity disperses itself over multiple dimensions.

My apologies to those who already know this -- and I am sure you are legion. This tidbit has been fascinating most laypeople that I speak to, so I felt it might be appropriate to Everything.