The story of Jonah is fairly odd in that it actually one of the few stories from the Old Testament that preaches tolerance rather than ardent xenophobia.

To make a short story shorter, there is this bloke named Jonah who is called upon by God to be a prophet. God tells Jonah to go to the city of Nineveh and tell them that they will be destroyed because they are wicked. Jonah doesn't really want to be a prophet (prophets tend to meet rather bleak fates), and in this case, his reluctance to go to Nineveh specifically is quite understandable: Nineveh was the capital of Assyria, a country that had long been an enemy of the Israelites (see, there were these bits about invading Israel, capitivities, exiles, and so on). To get out of this, Jonah takes an ocean voyage.

Of course, he can't escape God: great winds and great waves came that threatened to break the ship. Knowing that something supernatural was responsible, the shipmaster asked who was causing this tempest. Jonah admitted that he was responsible, and pleaded with them to cast him off of the ship so that they would be saved. Jonah was then thrown into the water, where he was swallowed by a whale. Inside the whale, Jonah begged for forgiveness and said he would do the Lord's will, and therefore God caused the whale to vomit him up.

So Jonah then went to Nineveh, where he told the Assyrian king that God was going to wreck the place because of their wickedness. To the great surprise of Jonah (and the reader), the Assyrians believe Jonah, and proceed to sincerely repent and mourn. The city is spared (well, at least the destruction is postponed), and Jonah is very dissapointed because of this (being an Israelite, he was kind of looking forward to (one) of his people's blood enemy's destruction). He asked God why He spared the horrible Assyrians, and God's reply went something like, "Even if they are stupid gentiles, they don't really know any better, and if they act nice, they deserve mercy."

The other famous book of the bible that taught tolerance to xenophobia was the Book of Ruth. Your Bible may not have that last, since it is sometimes counted among the Apocrypha.