Buffer state in the Ionian islands of Greece, founded in 1799 and dissolved in 1807.

Following the conquest of Italy by the French under Napoleon Bonaparte, Corfu (formerly a Venetian possession) fell under French rule, in 1797. However, a Russo-Turkish force seized the island in 1799 and the Septinsular Republic was established as a buffer state, including Corfu and a number of the other Ionian islands. Though nominally independent, the Septinsular Republic was, to all intents and purposes, a Russian dominion.

The fledgling republic had a mayfly life - it was dissolved in 1807, after the Treaty of Tilsit, by the terms of which Russia ceded Corfu and the other islands of the republic to France.

After the fall of Napoleon, in 1814, the islands of the former republic became a British protectorate, under the misnomer: the "United States of the Ionian Islands". They remained under British rule until 1848, and did not rejoin the rest of Greece until 1864.


An interesting footnote that I only recently became aware of:
The plebiscite that resulted in the Ionian islands ceasing to be a British protectorate, and rejoining Greece, was cited as a precedent by the Danish ambassador plenipotentiary, Count Bernstorff, at the London Conference of 1864, in response to British unwillingness to support a similar plebiscite for Schleswig-Holstein.

Source: Protocol no. 10 of the London Conference of 1864, dated June 18, 1864

"M. le Comte Bernstorff dit qu'il n'a parlé spécialement ne de bourgeois ni de paysans. Il désire surtout que ce soient les Etats du pays qui aient à se prononcer, et il ne comprend pas le surprise de Lord Clarendon. Il cite la cession des Iles Ioniennes, et la consultation des vœux de leurs habitants à cet régard, comme l'exemple le plus récent, donné par l'Angleterre elle-même, de l'application de ce principe, qui n'est nellement aussi dangereux que le principe proclamé dans des pièces officielles émanées du Cabinet Britannique, d'aprés lequel chaque peuple qui ne serait pas content de son Gouvernement aurait le droit de le renvoyer et de s'en donner un autre. Le principe qu'il propose n'est pas non plus nouveau, puisqu'il a été applqué dans les derniers temps presque à tous les pays qui ont changé de Maître. Il cite entre autres Naples, le Toscane, le Savoie et Nice."