I had a plan today - I was going to convert my router/webbox, in the living room for historical reasons (it was the only room with a telephone socket), into a multimedia entertainment center coordinator. The plan was to add a DVD drive, Hollywood+ card, and an extra soundcard. With this all in place, it would play CDs and DVDs, play shoutcasts off the jukebox server, play radio, finally give us a remote volume control for the old amiga monitor serving as a TV and perform dynamic range compression on the whole lot to put an end to loud adverts. (and maybe also make coffee, and wash the dishes...) For some reason, I forgot about the 80:20 rule... After spending ALL NIGHT wrestling this evil PC, I've learned a few things...

Impromptu case-mods are a bad idea. Mutilating the drive-bay so that it doesn't foul the dimm sockets is all well and good, but sooner or later you'll need to use the drive bay, and nothing sucks more than having to remove everything to panel-beat the case...

Cheap hardware is its own reward. The soundcard I paid ten quid for seems to be a 'hard-lockup-card' in disguise...

Double-check your wires. The reason I was getting no audio was because the audio out from the DVD card was plugged into the audio out from the sky box.

Old monitors don't do s-video.... This would have been a good thing to find out earlier...

And most importantly,
Don't upgrade the living room PC in the living room, or your wife will never speak to you again...