So, here I am in a rainy port in Scotland, not so far from Glasgow. Wonder what there is to do here? I better find out, because it's one of precious few breaks I get in the next two years.

You know, I'm not averse to working long and hard if there's a reward in it, but this... This isn't working toward a goal, or for a reward, or even just for the satisfaction of a job well done. This is working hard to avoid the overseer's whip, swimming as hard as you can for the surface just to sink to the bottom a little slower, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I can endure anything for a week, but can I say that 104 more times?

I sincerely hope this ship won't cost me my sanity. Of all the things I stand to lose, it's my mind I fear losing the most. I'm not sure I'd be willing to go to jail to avoid that, but just about anything else...

In happier news, I'm finally getting my home network set up the way I'd like. It's taking a bit, but I'm getting there. It's the one home project I can work on in my limited downtime at work, so I'm doing it with gusto. By the end of October I should mostly have Kerberos with an LDAP backend working, I hope. After that, LDAP+StartTLS and maybe PKInit, just so I can understand how all that works. Then more stuff, but by then I'll be low on things I don't need to be physically present for.