Bread Pudding is like stuffing or marinara sauce. Every family, chef, restaurant and cookbook has its own variation. Certain ingredients are at the core of long standing arguments over whether they should or should not be incorporated into the recipe. Raisins, no raisins, rum sauce, bourbon sauce, ice cream, no ice cream. There likely are as many recipes for bread pudding as there are stars in the night sky.

When I first moved to Boston I worked at The Ground Round in the Pru. Now, they made some kickass bread pudding with a Jack Daniel's sauce and topped it with ice cream. LOOK OUT! It was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. Ever.

Anyway, that Ground Round is long gone, having lost its lease there in the building of the new wing of the Prudential Center that has forever changed the Boston skyline. I could go to one of the other Ground Rounds nearby the next time I find myself in Boston and have myself a bread pudding; Cleveland Circle, Fresh Pond and I believe there's one in Arlington, (or is the Fresh Pond the one in Arlington? I was never sure) but it wouldn't taste the same as it did when me and the girls would sneak out back with the order we had "accidentally" rung in and gobble it down as quick as we could. I doubt this is the exact recipe they use, but after many attempts of my own, it comes pretty close.

Bread Pudding with Jack Daniel's Sauce
Serves: 12

Get:
Do:
    1. Beat eggs.
    2. Mix togather milk, sugar, eggs, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, and bread. Let stand one hour in fridge.
    3. Melt butter and add to bread mixture and toss gently.
    4. Spoon mixture into a greased/sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until set.

Jack Daniel's Sauce
yields: 1 1/2 cups

Get:

Do:
    1. Combine apple juice, sugar, Jack Daniel's, and butter in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved. Combine water and cornstarch, stir till dissolved and add to apple juice mixture. Bring to a boil and cook one minute further, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let sit 2 minutes. Spoon over Bread pudding, top with Vanilla ice cream (optional) and serve immediately.