I withdrew away from everyone last year, and I buried myself in my work and a lover -- both of which, in the end, were burying me. I think I knew he was my best friend the afternoon I called him for an assignment, not meaning to talk to anybody for any length of time because I was so engaged in my turning away from the world. But talk he did, and talk back I did, and laugh and laugh and laugh. It was then, when I walked away, smiling, hours later -- we’d spent hours even though we only lived minutes away -- and realized I hadn’t smiled so much in weeks.

It was when he stuck by me still, and encouraged me through every single one of the hard, hard steps it took me to get out of that hole I had dug for myself, and listened with interest to every detail I didn’t have the swap space to sort out in my own head, to the point where I needed to dump it out into his ... When he let me nap in his room because I just needed a place and still couldn’t go home ... When I realized he was making time to go walking with me every week when his girlfriend was giving him hell for not spending enough time on her...

And that’s the wonderful thing about him, that every single day he makes for me a new moment when I realize all over again that he is my best friend. That, in the end -- that is how I know.

He’s the only thing I’ve met so far too dear to take for granted.