Ever heard of the "Heavy Ion Super Collider" project? Essentially, gold ions are accelerated to speeds approaching that of light (of course never reaching it) in a head-on collision. The result is a "quark plasma" that contains elementary particles that may give us some indication as to how the forces of the Universe unify under extreme conditions.

Scientists working for the project claim that there is an infinitesimal possibility that a black hole could be created during a "run." Apparently it hasn't happened yet, as I suspect the results would be devastating and instantaneous. If there was enough of a vacuum around the miniature black hole, it might stand a chance of annihilating itself due to Hawking Radiation. However, if the black hole were large enough to exceed the duration of time necessary for it to starve to death, it may very well "fall" towards the ground like any other heavy object.

The black hole would begin to accelerate towards the center of the Earth, dragging the crust of the Earth towards its center, creating massive shockwaves throughout the planet. I suspect that before anyone could react to the sudden change, the whole planet would be consumed and converted into a far more massive black hole. Feeding from the light of the sun and asteroids and other stellar objects in its proximity, the former Earth would eventually gravitate towards the sun, converting the entire center of the solar system into a black hole, which would then swallow the surrounding planets in a matter of minutes, hours, years? It's all speculation at this point..but it's fun to think about it.

Black holes are like sections of space that have been pulled downward and inside out; a near-perfect "sphere" of space-time, approaching the impossible state of singularity. I contend that eventually all light energy will be exhausted, and all that will remain will be black holes. Inevitably they will draw together and collapse the entire Universe on into itself, creating yet another state of nothingness leading to an inevitable big-bang once again.

They say that without a Cosmological Constant (Einstein's "greatest blunder" that has recently been given new credibility) the Universe would cave in on itself eventually. Recent research has indicated that the Universe is still accelerating in its expansion; it has given no indication that it intends to cave in any time soon...but time is forever, and the Universe is patient. Eventually, all that will remain will be black holes and background radiation...eventually it must all come together. We are arrogant to think that the Universe is "already" 10-20 billion years old, as if that means it should be headed towards annihilation. Indeed its age is probably in that range, but who's to say we (well, the Universe) doesn't have another 999,999,999,999,999 trillion gazillion years to go before it's ready to collapse, or at a state of heat death?

Eternal life may come not from god, but from an infinite re-arrangement of matter that through one shot of incredible luck created you. Obviously the probability of a "you" existing is not impossible, just rare. Given infinite expansions and contractions, I'd say it's possible for you to exist again and again and again. It's already happened once. My faith is that the Universe will collapse at some point, leading to an inevitable explosion once again. I cling desperately to it and see everything around me as evidence for it, just as the dedicated Christian is devoted to God and finds "holiness" in everything...well maybe not everything. That's the difference between them and I; I don't blame the bad parts on some mysterious evil force that was created by an even more mysterious good force. Ambivalence..what a concept. But I fortunately don't have to restrict my happiness in order to please some concept; I accept my successes and failures as part of a destiny that is granted by chance and influenced by decision; even if the decisions are merely an illusion.

There is no good, no evil, no mere existence, no simply non-existence, there just is -- a homogenized blend of all that can exist. Existence implies non-existence, and vice versa. The Universe is everythingness and nothingness at once -- a landscape of substance infused with an empty air of void.

Remember, you needn't believe in god to believe in eternal life. If the Universe does collapse and expand forever, you will always stand a chance at living -- this life, or maybe another. Since we don't have any way of knowing what the Universe is going to do, believing that life ends immediately or repeats forever (or repeats in infinite variations) is a matter of subjective faith; inasmuch as we don't know for sure if we'll die forever, just as much as we don't know whether we'll come back.



Update 10/23/2017: I bought my child a series of audiobooks by Stephen and Lucy Hawking and in "George and the Big Bang," a similar situation, not entirely identical, not stated the same way exactly, but eerily similar to the one I lay out here, is described, which I happened to catch by listening to a bit of it with him this weekend. The details are important, truth is important, facts are important, but everything is still a bit of a mystery, isn't it. :D