Though most people would think Chicken Divan is French, it isn't. The recipe that I use actually originated from a restaurant called Divan Parisien in New York City. In the original recipe it has "sauce Mornay" on it, which is a Béchamel sauce with cheese. Béchamel sauce is a white sauce made with butter, flour and milk. In English, the word divan means sofa, from the council chamber's benches, and in French it means a meeting place or great hall. This is what attracted the owners of Divan Parisien to the word "Divan", they found it very formal and appealing.

While doing research on Chicken Divan for my Food Prep class, I also learned that Hungary has a version of Chicken Divan, only it is with onions, peppers, and other spicy ingredients.

This is my all time favourite dish. I think everyone should try it because it is fairly simple to make and delicious.

This is the recipe my Mom uses:

Ingredients:
3-6 Boned Chicken Breast
1 - 10 oz. pkg Broccoli Spears
1 - 10 oz. can Cream of Chicken
1/2 cup Mayo
1/8 tsp Curry Powder
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 - large can of French's Fried Onions
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Directions:
Microwave chicken covered for 10-15 minutes. Pour juice in bowl and set aside. Microwave broccoli for 4 minutes (I suggest if you get the long broccoli to cut it up in smaller pieces because it is just easier to eat that way). Mix sauce (cream of chicken, mayo, curry powder, & lemon juice). Put chicken on top of the broccoli, pour sauce over it, and top with cheese. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. When it is done, pour your can of fried onions on top and stick it back in the oven for a couple of minutes, until golden brown. Keep a good eye on them though, they burn quickly.