The conflict between an all knowing being and the free will of individuals.

  1. There is a being that knows everything that was, is, and will be.
  2. This being would know exactly that I will do before I do it.
  3. I have will do what is known that I will do in the future.
  4. Therefore I do not have free will.
What is free will? Free will is the ability to make a choice. Let us take a person that we know very well. Hypothetically, this person is a vegetarian. For lunch, there are two choices: the steak and the vegetarian pasta. You know what this person will choose to eat. Given the same choice tomorrow, you know what the outcome will be. Does this person have free will with regards to what to eat, even though you know what will be chosen before it is done?

The knowledge in advance of what the truth will is not the cause of the truth. The choice is not being forced, and is made freely. This person could choose the steak if so desired.

Extending this, does a being with perfect knowledge of your preferences force you to make the choices that this being knows you will make? You have the choice. If you wanted to, you could choose otherwise, and that is the essence of free will. Even though it may be possible to know the future outcome of events, it does not mean that the choices leading up to those events are compelled or necessary.