As a tapered candle is made, there is a period when they are warm and soft and it is not difficult to work this into other shapes. If a candle is too hard, it can be softened by dipping into hot wax (160F) for about three seconds. After dipping, one must wait about 30 seconds for the wax to be cool enough to work without being burnt. Wax does not stick to water - this can help keep the wax off of things that one would normally not want the wax to stick to (such as hands).

Braiding candles (also known as 'plaited candles') provide a unique style of candle that is not often seen (they require hand work which machines are not easily able to do). Do not make braided candles to teach yourself to braid. Braiding is also much easier with an extra pair of hands (two people)

  1. Take three tapered candles while they are warm and soft. It helps if two of these candles are still joined in the 'U' shape from dipping. The third candle is from one of another pair that has been separated.
  2. Loop the candles over a hook at working height and tie the third wick on the hook. All three candle tops should be at the same level.
  3. Braid the candles together.
  4. Squeeze the bottoms of the candles together firmly and flatten the base so the candle can stand up straight. (Flatting the base is not critical - there are other methods that can flatten the base of a candle)

One of the things that this type of candle provides that others do not is that of color contrasts - take full advantage of this. While three white candles are interesting, consider that of a red, pink and white one for Valentine's day, or an orange, black and white combination for Halloween. The color combinations are only limited by imagination.