Dipped candles (also known as 'tapers' or 'tapered candles') are the ones that we classically think of when we picture a candle - long, slender candles. These also form the basis of many other types of candles.

Dipped candles are often dipped in pairs with a long wick in an upside-down 'U' shape. This allows a person to make more candles at once (and also has other uses for more interesting candle types).

(the following instructions will make approximately 6 candles 10 inches tall and ~1/2 in diameter)

  1. Collect following items for use:
  2. Heat wax in a double boiler (saucepan and dipping can) to 160F and maintain that heat.
  3. Upon complete melting of the wax, add the dye.
  4. Dip each pair of wicks (upside-down U shape) in wax for about 3 seconds
  5. Allow to each pair to cool for 1 - 4 minutes (depending on room temperature)
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until candles are of desired thickness.
  7. Heat up wax to 180F
  8. Give each candle a 3 second dip and allow to cool for about 3 minutes.
    The purpose of this is to give a clean and smooth surface.
  9. Trip base of wax with a sharp knife - be careful to avoid fingerprints in the finish.

If the candles that are produced are 'lumpy' then the wax is too cool.

Larger numbers of candles can be dipped at a single time with the use of a rack or hoop (a bent out of shape coat hanger works well for this). Wicks should be spaced about 3 candle diameters apart to give them proper room to grow. Be aware that the frame will be substantially heavier as the candles grow.