Just my biased and irrelevant opinion however "the perks of being a wallflower" by stephen chbosky has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. It is a blatant rip-off of "The Catcher in the Rye" which features everyone's favorite depressed misanthropic agonized teenaged-lost-generation-youth. It tends to gain its fame from the the fact that it was banned by many states (and for good reason, it sucks.)and that it was also a book put out by MTV, a television station known for its "obvious" quality and real world affliction. After all what type of television station could be more real than one that puts out a show titled "The Real World". Therefore, "the perks of being a wallflower" is an instant success with all these MTV winners and counterculture fanatics. Make a book that talks about teenagers involved with sex and drugs and you will most certainly have a winning combination. Nothing in this book was original. Its lines were trite, and its plot was predictable. Interesting enough this book is also considered the emo bible for its many overly zealous followers that it enthralls. The people that read this book are often part of that little rebellious subculture loosely based on punk rock which I will not go into (see: guide to being emo for more information on this monstrosity.) This book's often simplistic and banal writing style obviously appeals to today's illiterate teenagers which seem to love this book for whatever reasons they may have.

Most famous line from the book:
"and in that moment i swear, we were infinite."
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Being finite is not good enough for you? Perhaps this is a line for those psuedo intellectual types but I cannot fathom or comprehend its meaning.

That is all for today's rant. All and all it wasn't the worst book I have ever read like I stated above, it was just overrated due to its undeserved fame.