Waclaw Sierpinski, born March 14, 1882, in Warsaw, Poland. His abilities in mathematics surfaced early, and only 3 years after entering the University of Warsaw in 1900, he won a prize for his essay on Voronoi's contribution to number theory, and shortly thereafter he won a gold medal in a number theory competition.

From 1908 to 1914 he lectured at the University of Lvov, followed by three years at the University of Moscow. After the end of World War I he returned to the University of Warsaw and spent the rest of his career there. During his career he received honorary doctorates from ten universities, was elected vice-president of the Polish Academy of Sciences, and was awarded the scientific prize of the first degree in 1949.

The majority of Sierpinski's work were on the subjects of number theory, set theory and point set theory, as well as studies of the "Sierpinski curve".

Sierpinski published an incredible 724 papers and 50 books during his active years, and even after retiring as a professor in 1960, he continued to give seminars up to 1967.

Sierpinski died in Warsaw on May 14, 1969.

Along with the Sierpinski curve, he is widely known for the fractal classic, the Sierpinski triangle.