We were taught that Taiwan is part of China, just like some of us were taught in school that Taiwan was neutral and independent of China. It is hard for anyone to give up what he/she was taught in their early age. And, make thing worse, both sides have sufficient reasons to support their answers. Sometimes, the reasons are based on same facts --history and reality-- it is all depending on how we organize and phrase our reasons, according to our predefined answers. I truely understand everybody's position on this issue and others too.

One point I want to make here is that each government acts from its value and duty. On this particular issue, China, Taiwan, and America are doing what they have to do. For example, how can you ask China to let Taiwan go without any price, if you really believe Taiwan is not part of China? Mainland Chinese will think their government is so weak that it gives in to the power of America. Nobody wants his government weak although the government is not perfect at all.
And, as a capitalist/democratic government, USA's support to Nationlist and later Taiwan was out of fear of Communism in China and Sovlet Union. It was one of the efforts to keep its own national power and advantage over the world (God belesses American. You have such a good government.). The philosophy is that "If we can not get peace, let's at least have balance", especially, after the decomposition of former Soviet Union. That is why China is always the target, conveniet and "convincing". (In this sense, America did a good thing, although it might not be its intention.) Taiwan happened to be a little, but useful soldier on the chessboard with China. The ally of America and Taiwan is mutual benefitial to them. Also because of its responsibility to American people, USA may not involve into the military encounter between Mainland China and Taiwan, if there will have one. The life of America is heavier than that of Taiwanese in the eyes of American gevernment. It may sound cruel, but, there is some truth in it.
I am not saying there is no nice people and myself admir their dreams of peace and human right. But, if you believe a government or a party as a whole have sympathy for other people, you are too naive.

The issue of Taiwan is complicated, like North Ireland and Kosovo. Going back to history only makes me sad. The world is a bloody battle field from the beginning of civilization, in both sense of real wars and intangible sacrifices. The reality is that the world is a mess. Sorry, I could not be more constructive. I wish everybody happy, but things are not that simple. Maybe after 300 hundred years, we will have the answer. But, history just tells stories about winners and the strongers. And, who cares?