In Fight Club, the primary character interaction is Tyler Durden helping Jack/the narrator to hit rock bottom. The implication here is that once one has hit rock bottom, one can be reborn better and stronger than before. By hitting rock bottom, we reject everything which society asks of us, and rethink what we ask of society.

This is a theme which Chuck Palahniuk explores thoroughly in Invisible Monsters, using different themes and different characters. It could be argued that Fight Club is how Palahniuk thinks men should go about trying to hit rock bottom, and that Invisible Monsters is about how women and children go about it. Each of the four primary characters in the book (the narrator, Brandy Alexander, Ellis Island, and Evie) have been disfigured in some way, and have a hand in their own disfigurement.

This is not clear at the beginning of the story, however. The point A to point B of Invisible Monsters is about showing the reader how these characters have been disfigured, and showing each character's complicity in his/her own disfigurement.

This is not different from what we discover about narrator over the course of Fight Club. Nor is it different from what we discover about Marla Singer during that tale. Both books are about characters who have rejected the way that they fit into society (not society itself), and are trying to hit rock bottom so that they can change the way they fit.

It is interesting that in Palahniuk's stories, the only resolution we get is that characters learn more about themselves. Nothing is resolved, and nobody has a happy ending. The only thing any character gets out of Chuck's stories (except maybe the shaft) is understanding, and maybe a little bit of acceptance of their situation.