Despite what Webster 1913 says, religious dogma and religious doctrine should not be considered the same thing.

Dogma is a religious belief that is considered essential by the practicioners and leaders of that religion or denomination. If you do not agree with that belief, you are not considered a member of that religion or denomination at all.

In contrast, doctrine may vary from congregation to congregation. For instance, your town's Catholic or Presbyterian or Islamic house of worship may expect all its members to believe certain things in additional to their dogma. If you refuse to accept those beliefs, you may still be welcome at other Catholic or Presbyterian or Islamic houses of worship; just not that one.

A third category, religious opinion, is purely personal. Different members and leaders of a particular congregation may hold different opinions about religious issues, but as long as those issues do not contradict dogma or doctrine, they do not affect their membership. Opinions are not considered essential to the religion or religious body.

A highly conservative or orthodox denomination or congregation will empty the opinion category as much as possible and fill up dogma, perhaps by requiring people to dress a certain way or prohibiting men or women from certain activities. A highly liberal will do the opposite; beliefs about the nature of creation, the end times, or divine nature may all regarded as personal and debatable. Neither extreme is really healthy, since all three categories do and should exist in any belief system. A strong church understands that while some truths are absolute and essential, there are always others which are debatable and less certain.