Paul extends the following advice in his first letter to the Corinthians, chapter 7 (NIV):

It is good for a man not to marry.... I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

And earlier, in the book of Matthew chapter 19:

Jesus replied... "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

Is this a Biblical mandate that everyone should remain single? Of course not. Mankind would be in pretty sorry shape otherwise. But the earliest Christians agreed with Francis Bacon in that having a wife and a family is a commitment of time and resources, which certain people may be better off not having. (This is exactly the reason Catholic priests vow to remain unmarried, so that they can remain undistracted from their Godly work.)