Transforms from race car to robot and back!

AUTOBOT: JAZZ

FUNCTION: SPECIAL OPERATIONS EXPERT
"Do it with style or don't bother doing it."

JAZZ loves Earth culture. Always looking to learn more. His knowledge of Earth makes him the indispensable right-hand man to Optimus Prime. Takes most dangerous missions. Very cool, very stylish, very competent. Equipped with photon rifle, flamethrower, full-spectrum beacon, 180db stereo speakers. Creates dazzling, disorienting sound and light shows. Versatile, clever, daring, but prone to be distracted.

  • Strength: 5
  • Intelligence: 9
  • Speed: 7
  • Endurance: 7
  • Rank: 8
  • Courage: 9
  • Firepower: 5
  • Skill: 10
Transformers Tech Specs


Not only were all of the 1984/85 Autobot cars based on real vehicles, some of them were based on very specific cars. Jazz, for instance, was modelled after the Martini Porsche 935 racing car. According to http://www.geocities.com/kidk0rrupt/porsche/porsche.htm, four of these cars were built, one each year between 1978 and 1981; the 1981 car was appropriately numbered "4" and became Takara's model for the toy that eventually became Jazz. Wheeljack and Smokescreen were also modelled after real-life racecars.

The cartoon played up on the "180db stereo speakers" described in Jazz's tech specs and made them so they could pop out of the rear of the car, pointing forward and playing loud enough to scramble Decepticon sensors whenever they were within range. The character himself talked in a sort of jive slang and got a whole lot of airtime (he often acted like Optimus Prime's second-in-command) in return for being cool.