One of the primary purposes of religion and belief in G-d is to make us feel empowered. This world is scary; there are a great number of factors that directly affect our lives that we cannot come close to understanding, let alone controlling. In these uncertain times, it’s especially important to realize that we do not have control, and that we can just place trust in a greater being and then move on.
G-d is my shepherd, I shall lack nothing.

The image of a flock is very important. With the hustle and bustle of modern living, it feels sometimes that we’re being herded to work, and then back home again. We have learned to accept this, and to believe that so long as we participate and move where life takes us, our needs will be provided for.

In lush pastures He makes me lie, besides tranquil waters, He leads me.

Life isn’t always “lush” and “tranquil”, however, those with faith will find the smallest amount of tranquility and utilize it. We can only find spiritual sustenance if we follow G-d.

My soul, he restores, He directs me in paths of righteousness for the sake of His name.

Life’s trials are draining sometimes, and it’s sometimes easy to lose one’s way. When there’s a choice, we should always choose the path of “righteousness.” We should do this not just for ourselves, but because we have faith that doing so is pleasing to that which protects us.

Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for You are with me, Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Protects us from what? From death, from evil, from loneliness, from fear. We must accept that we are all moments away from possible death at all times, and that our only respite is faith.

You prepare a table for me in the full presence of my enemies, You anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows.

We cannot remove evil from the world. Evil is going to be ever-present, but it does not have to be all-consuming. Just by having faith, we can effectively conduct our lives despite the factors that would tend to disturb them.

(May) only good and kindness pursue me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the House of The Lord for long days."

The key word in this passage is “pursue”. When we think of that word, we think of an attacker, or more symbolically, the constant race to outrun our fears. We ask to instead be faced with “good” and “kindness” to overcome our physical and psychological enemies. The passage ends with the request for protection, like a parent protects a child. We ask to be allowed not just to survive, but also to live in happiness, to “dwell”.

Every time I hear or read this passage, I am reminded of my weakness. I live in a very dangerous city; it’s very possible that I could be struck by a stray bullet and die at any time. I could be hit by a car while crossing the street. I could contract a rare illness. I could be a victim of a terrorist attack.

It’s up to each of us. We can choose to let these truths rule our lives, or we can choose to have faith. We can let the chaos and evil of the outside world spread to us, or we can live in a world of (at least) internal peace.