"I used to do speed and sometimes a little cough syrup and stay up all night writing and writing, I mean like 25 pages of drivel about, you know, the Guess Who, or Coltrane, just to f#@king write."

Lester Bangs, Almost Famous

There are two types of people on this rock. One reads a quote like that and wonders if maybe poor Lester was sick a lot as a child. Two reads that quote and thinks, "dextromethorphan," I hardly knew thee. Or some of us knew it only too well. The disjointed near out-of-body experience is just that, an experience; weird, strange, and maybe even a little bit fun, but it ain't gonna hook ya like crack.

If you are in that second category, you undoubtedly live your life as an experimentalist. You breathe art and shit poetry. Your candle burns at both ends. Yes, you are in good company but you walk the path less traveled. I could commend you on your free spirit, and tell you you're doing a good job, but being who you are you probably don't give a shit what people think about you.

Rock on. But be willing to roll with the punches. Life will sometimes have its way with you, and you must remember to pause, and replenish your spirit as well as your body. The truly lived life may sometimes wear your soul thin. Always remember to love people, especially the intolerant and hurtful. Find a god you can trust and believe in it with true faith. Be careful with drugs. Respect them and respect yourself. In the words of Raoul Duke:

"You can turn your back on a person, but don't ever turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye."

As true today as it was back then. Hunter S. Thompson is a renowned experimentalist himself, and even he couldn't take the heat towards the end. Thank you Dr. Gonzo, your words light a path through the psychedelic darkness.


My words, however, will drive a body straight into the clutches of the cough-syrup bottle.