OK, this has been sitting in on the CRT node for too long now. It's going to become apparent that I don't like this movie but I have seen it a few too many times and can offer a concise writeup on it. Any diehard fans of the film are welcome to post their opinions.

The film opens up with a quick introduction of our main characters, Frank Farmer the bodyguard and Rachel Marron the body. Rachel is finally getting some big breaks as she rises to the top of fame. Unfortunately it also brings with it some unwanted attention from obsessive and potentially dangerous fans. Farmer is out of the secret service after he fails in his job to protect President Reagan and now mainly deals in the private sector. Still, he has a good reputation as a bodyguard as no one really holds him accountable for Reagan except himself, and Rachel's manager calls on him to be her bodyguard. It is his first experience with guarding a popular celebrity, and the situation allows for Kasdan to make some interesting points about the problems associated with fame.

Before Princess Diana, the point was a little more original, but one thing The Bodyguard does is bring to light the dilemma of celebrity. They have to expose themselves as their careers thrive off of publicity, but it also puts them in a dangerous situation at worst, and uncomfortable or embarassing ones at best. At first Frank dismisses the dilemma as childish but as the romantic relationship between Rachel and him starts to show itself, he gains an understanding of how problematic things can become.

Some of the more interesting twists are the fact that the obsessive fan is really a former bodyguard turned hitman. He is actually a former associate of Farmer's. It also turns out that Rachel's sister was the one that ordered the hit, out of jealousy for her sister. The hitman begins to operate independently however, even after she spills her guts.

All in all, the movie seems too contrived. While Costner does a decent Steve McQueen impersonation, his acting is pretty much more in line with Waterworld than Dances With Wolves. Whitney Houston doesn't have to stretch to far to play the role of a somewhat spoiled diva, but that doesn't seem to help warm up the chemistry between her and Costner's character. Their romance is a little hard to swallow, although I would say that the scene in which Farmer drops her silk sash on a katana blade, neatly slicing it in two, is pretty cool and gives the air some heat.

This movie is the reason that everyone knows that I Will Always Love You song, and in it Whitney gives a rendition of the song that none can equal. Whatever you have to say about her, the girl can sing. I'm sure that most know this by now, but it bears repeating that the song was written and originally performed by Dolly Parton, and this is made apparent in a bar scene where we hear the original version from the jukebox.

Stats, thanks to IMDB

Runtime: 130 min
Rated R
Country: USA
Language: English
Color: Color (Metrocolor)
Sound Mix: Dolby Digital
Directed by Mick Jackson
Written by Lawrence Kasdan

Tagline(ugh): Never let her out of your sight. Never let your guard down. Never fall in love.

Kevin Costner - Frank Farmer
Whitney Houston - Rachel 'Rach' Marron
Gary Kemp - Sy Spector
Bill Cobbs - Bill Devaney
Ralph Waite - Herb Farmer
Tomas Arana - Greg Portman
Michele Lamar Richards - Nicki Marron
Mike Starr (I) - Tony Scipelli
Christopher Birt - Henry
DeVaughn Nixon - Fletcher 'Fletch' Marron
Gerry Bamman - Ray Court
Joe Urla - Minella
Tony Pierce - Dan
Charles Keating - Klingman
Robert Wuhl - Oscar Host