"Jem" was a cartoon show aired from 1986 to 1988. It followed the lives of a girl-glam "rock" group, also (imaginatively) titled "Jem and the Holograms".

The main character of the show was Jerrica Benton, President of Starlight Music and the Starlight foster home. The big secret was that Jerrica was also Jem, the lead singer of the hottest band around! This alter-ego had pink hair and wore sparkly clothes, in contrast to Jerrica's blond hair and normal clothes. Crazy!

Even Jerrica's boyfriend, the hunky, sweet Rio, didn't know that Jerrica was also Jem, so when he fell in love with Jem as well as Jerrica he didn't know what to do! It led to all kinds of wacky situations.

"Jem and the Holograms" were always at the top of the charts, and not surprisingly gained a few enemies on their way to success. The Misfits (of Misfit Music, of course) were also a group of talented young musicians who were out to get Jem and her band-mates. Pizzazz, the leader of the Misfits, always tried to ruin the Holograms shows, but the good gals would always triumph over her evil ways.

Here's a sample of Jem and the Holograms lyrics.

"She's Got The Power".

Like a crystal gleaming bright
Like a prism bending light
She can turn the day into night
She's got the power

Chrous She's got the power, power
She's got the power, power, power
She's got the power

See the way the candles gleam
Feel the sun throw off its beam
She can turn life into a dream
She's got the power

Chorus

She's got the power to create confusion
Her mastery is no illusion

Chorus x 2


Oh, the beautiful imagery of those lyrics. No wonder The Misfits were out to get the Holograms- they were brilliant!
For more, go to http://80s.tvheaven.com/