In an effort to inform people as to what Dragonball Z is...

First things first. READ THE MANGA. It beats the anime out 10 to 1 and doesn't include any filler. Much better. -edit- VIZ has gone back and changed the ratings of the US manga to 13+, and has ceased editing.

Dragonball Z is the second in a series of anime by Toei Animation, based on the popular manga Dragonball. Dragonball Z was created to highlight the shift by Akira Toriyama moving towards the martial arts (heh) aspect of the stories. It introduces Son Gohan, Son Goku's son (ehh), and a slew of other characters, including Vegeta (Bejita), Frieza (Freeza), Cell, and Majin Buu.

Dragonball Z, when watched subtitled, is excellent(relative to the US version). Unfortunately, when Funimation brought it to the US, rampant cutting and bad writing marred the english release of the show. The constant grunting during fights, the stupid lines, the irritating music played at innappropriate moments, the odd motion that seems like fast-forward, and jumpy, bad cuts to make their mouths almost match the english lines, all added by Funimation.

Update on May 01, 2001:

A node was just added mentioning Dragonball AF. Dragonball AF DOES NOT, AND NEVER WILL, EXIST. I sit in a channel on IRC frequented by DBZ fans, and they spout this rumor every few weeks, for the past year and a half. The most in the way of proof is some picture touted to be "Super Sayian 5," which is nothing more than a peice of fan-art. Sorry people. Dragonball is FINISHED.
This is one of my highest rated nodes. I don't even LIKE Dragonball* anymore!