One of my guy friends asked me that the other day, and it made me think. I dated someone who went from The Nice Guy to a bit of a jerk as we parted. Bah. Girls are kooky.

I think women tend to date the asshole because he makes them feel special. They have to go out of their way to be nice to you; meanwhile the nice guys are sweet to everyone. The jerks must first acknowledge your presence to be nice to you. This lets you know that you are known to someone who isn’t nice to just anyone, and automatically you are placed above everyone else in the room. If he further pays attention to you, then you must be something special, otherwise someone as high up as he would have just moved on. And if you actually manage to hook up with one of these Gods, then you yourself must be worthy of his devotion and attention. It doesn’t matter that he chats up other women while around you, because you know he’ll be the one taking you home that night, and not the flirtatious waitress.

The nice guy on the other hand is nice to everyone, and after a while you get used to it. “oh yeah, so and so sent me flowers again at work” things tend to be taken for granted when they happen often enough. Yet when he’s having a bad day, and makes a rash move, you are more likely to remember that than when he sent you the flowers because it never seems to happen. You think you earned the sudden outburst, and feel like a punished dog, who did nothing wrong. Nice guy tries to make it up to you, more flowers at work, or something else of the sort, but since it’s in the norm it doesn’t matter. Jerk man on the other hand might pull the same scenario, and send you the same flowers at work, and because it’s so different from his other actions, you feel special.

*shrug* just some rant from the peanut gallery