Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
how I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Wish I may, wish I might
Have this wish I wish tonight.

All day I was imagining what if these large rocks didn't take eons to emerge from beneath the earth or were left behind by glaciers passing through, but rather fell from the sky and were falling still, killing us like all the predators humans have hunted to extinction, genetically altered, or put in zoos or in nature preserves, in theme parks where you can drive through, taking photographs of their captive sadness.

At nightfall, in this designated dark zone, my son has been watching stars fall alone. I wonder aloud if between the stars there are other stars--billions and trillions, and we just cannot see them; and another star falls just for him.

Lying on a picnic table at midnight, watching the sky but making no wishes, I predict my death. I imagine people asking my children, "How did your mother die?"

My children answering, "Well, we went camping and she was talking about falling rocks, boulders, glacial erratics killing humans and then that night a star fell on her while she was laying on a picnic table with our Dad. He was snoring lightly, had fallen asleep and she was laughing in joy at the beautiful upside down world; then both of them were gone. Another star fell just for her, but she never saw it coming."