This olive oil dip for bread is my rendition of the one served by the Cafe Mezzanotte in Severna Park, MD. They won't share their recipe but I think this comes close and is quite delicious.

Place the ingredients in a food processor and process until everything is finely chopped.

Vary ingredients and volumes to taste as you please; remember I just made this up.

It is natural for the heavier ingredients to sink. The end result should have a noticeable sediment (the best part in my mind).

I used about:
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup Italian grated cheese
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
the leaves from 4 two inch sprigs of fresh rosemary
the leaves from 6 two inch sprigs of fresh oregano
10 or so medium fresh basil leaves

This is also good with fresh plum tomatoes, basil and thyme.

I found it keeps well in the refrigerator for at least a few days. Allow to come to room temperature naturally or heat gently before using. I've also frozen it in small batches (using baby food jars). Defrost overnight in refrigerator or at room temperature if serving same day.

Serve with a yummy, crusty bread as an appetizer or as part of a full Italian meal.

mmm,mmm good


UPDATE
TI realized this is much like a thin pesto and decided to experiment a bit. Thickened with a bit more cheese, and using all fresh basil leaves and a handful of macadamia nuts I processed it all with the tomatotes and olive oil. Served with thin speghetti and grilled eggplant and fresh tomoatoe slices and mint ice tea. MMM mmm good!

Second run I used mixed herbs and it was still wonderful, just different. Of course pine nuts are the classic pesto ingredient but the store didn't have any and macadamia nuts were on sale. What a wonderful discovery. They really work well!