Here are some interesting tidbits and factoids about the Skull & Bones secret society. Remember that they're rumours and that's all they are; it is impossible to verify things like this and even if I could you would still have no reason to trust me.

  • The granddaddy of all fraternities, Phi Beta Kappa, was founded in 1776 as a secret society and went public in the 1820s. Skull & Bones was supposedly a chapter formed at Yale University in 1780, that remained secret.
  • Skull & Bones started accepting women as members in 1992.
  • The order was once known as the Brotherhood of Death. Some say it was founded as Chapter 322 of a German secret society.
  • It was founded in 1833 by General Willian Huntington Russel and Alphonso Taft. It was incorporated as the Russel Trust Association in 1856.
  • Some sources say the order only exists at Yale, others believe there are chapters at other Ivy League universities as well.
  • Each year exactly 15 new recruits, all students in their senior year. Upon initiation each is given a new name.
  • At any time about 500-600 members are alive and active. The order meets annually at Deer Island in the St. Lawrence River.
  • The number 322 pops up frequently when reading about the order. For example, the Inner Temple of the headquarters is also known as Room 322.
  • The society building at Yale is adorned with skulls, both human and animal. A persistant rumour claims that the order is in possession of the skull of Geronimo, which has upset some of the Apache people.
  • There are two other secret societies at Yale; the Scroll & Key and Wolf's Head.
Then there are some things we can be more or less certain of: Finally, a list of books and articles on the subject, blatantly ripped from (www.parascope.com):
  • "An Introduction to the Order", Anthony Sutton, Veritas Publishing 1988
  • "America's Secret Establishment: An introduction to The Order of Skull & Bones", Anthony Sutton, Liberty House 1986
  • "The Last Secrets of Skull and Bones", Ron Rosenbaum, Esquire Magazine, September, 1977
  • "Yale Society Resists Peeks Into Its Crypt", David W. Dunlap, New York Times, 11/4/88
  • "Skull and Bones -- Bush's Boy's Club", Peggy Alder-Robohm (researcher), Covert Action Quarterly No. 33 (Winter 1990)
  • "Skeleton in His Closet", John Schrag, Willamette Week, September 19-25, 1991
  • "The Cyclopedia Of Fraternities", Albert Stevens, ed., E. B. Treat and Company 1907
  • "Who's Who of the Elite", By Robert Gaylon Ross, Sr., RIE 1995