Does anybody actually know what he looked like? He almost always has a beard in depictions of him I've seen, but I've heard it argued by many people that a carpenter of the period in his circumstances would almost certainly have been clean-shaven. So why give Jesus the beard? While we're at it why not just give him a goatee and make him look sinister and evil?

Anyway, on to the actual topic. It seems to me that fanatical people are usually really weird. Imagine, if you will, someone who's spent their whole life becoming more and more obsessed with one guy (my apologies to those out there whom I'm now describing). They think, breath, drink (literally), eat, and dream Jesus. Wouldn't you'd expect, if you were similarly preoccupied, that you'd start to see Jesus everywhere? I'd probably see him twice in my frosted flakes every morning.

On the other hand, if God knew about Jesus from the beginning (which he must have; see omniscience) and he also knew how important the guy would be (which he also must have known), it would be perfectly reasonable for his image to be ingrained into every particle in the universe and reveal itself in nature like some freaky righteous fractal. So it would make perfect sense that the image of Jesus would show up everywhere.

In short, I have nothing new to contribute to this argument other than that either option is possible and perhaps even equally likely. You know that old saying: "Ask a silly agnostic a question, get an answer containing more style than substance". Or to put it another way (to all you Tolkien fans out there): "If you ask an agnostic for advice, he will say both no and yes".