Literally in Japanese "Peach boy." An old man and old woman were living together in the mountains by themselves. One day, when the old woman was at the river washing laundry, a large peach came floating down the river. Upon seeing the peach, she thought that she and her husband could enjoy it, so she took it back to her house. Upon cutting it in half with her knife, a small boy was found inside the peach. The old couple had no children, so they thought that the gods had blessed them with this child. They named him "Momotaro" because he was born from the peach. Soon, he grew up to be a tall and strong boy. He was very lazy though, and when the other kids would go and gather firewood, he'd stay home and sleep. Once his parents encouraged him to gather firewood, he slept while everyone else was out gathering wood. When everyone was ready to go back in, he woke up and said "I'll collect firewood and come back with you." The other boys thought they'd be in too late if he started working now, but he ignored their complaints and went to a large tree. Putting his arms around it, he uprooted it and carried the tree back to town. On seeing his great strength, the local county lord called him to his castle, and said to him "Ogres have been threatening and robbing my peasants for a long time. If you are as strong as I heard, you shall go and punish them." Momotaro agreed to help him out. His grandmother baked some millet cookies for him to eat while on his journey.

Somewhere down the road, he met a dog. "Momotaro, where are you going?" asked the dog.
"To the Island of Ogres, to punish them."
"And what are you bringing with you?"
"The best millet cookies of Japan."
"Can I have one and go with you?" offered the dog. Momotaro gave the dog a cookie and they went along together.

Soon they met a monkey.
"Momotaro, where are you going?" asked the monkey.
"To the Island of Ogres, to punish them."
"And what are you bringing with you?"
"The best millet cookies of Japan."
"Can I have one and go with you?" offered the monkey. Momotaro gave the monkey a cookie and the three of them went along together.

Then they met a pheasant.
"Momotaro, where are you going?" asked the pheasant.
"To the Island of Ogres, to punish them."
"And what are you bringing with you?"
"The best millet cookies of Japan."
"Can I have one and go with you?" offered the pheasant. So Momotaro gave the pheasant a cookie too.

The companions sailed to the Island of Ogres, as Momotaro entered the cave where the ogres were, he announced himself and said that he was going to punish them. The ogres then laughed, but the dog ran in and bit them as Momotaro fought with his sword. He and his companions, having eaten the best millet cookies in Japan, knew no fear. The defeated ogres then begged for mercy and gave Momotaro their treasure. He took it back to his family, and all lived happily ever after.