It's getting real hard not to look for the karmic angle. I live within a rich and evolving personal mythology, but lately all the sense I've been able to make of it has put it firmly in either Greek tragedy or sitcom territory (it's hard to tell sometimes).

The girl of my dreams and I are having lunch, and a lot of fun. True to the mother of all romantic comedy cliches, I make her laugh. We joke about the dreadful food. It's an hour-long conversation stretching from the bus that took us here to the bus back. It's the latest in a series of positive social encounters that are doing wonders for my geek ego.

I stick to the rules: Upbeat conversation, eye contact. It comes naturally though I'd never have guessed that about me. This girl... It's a miracle I can be coherent around her, let alone impress her. We talk and talk. She practically asks me out. We change locations while the conversation flows.

The whole thing is her doing; She has single-handedly lifted me up from a week of limerent fear, uncertainty and doubt and she doesn't even know.

Of course there's a catch. There's always a catch.

Murphy's Law is a special case of karma where you just accept up front that you're fucked. The balance is always in favor of the universe screwing you over with all its might. This cannot be reversed. "Ya think you're having fun now, huh? Well dodge this..."

My brain actually blurred out the precise moment she said "this is my boyfriend X, etc. etc." but I'm pretty sure that was what she said. To ask would be blowing my cover so I didn't.

She's taken.

Figures. I had it coming for assuming she was available, for daring to fall for her like that, for enjoying my time with her that much.

Or, shit just happens. Viciously timed, yes, but it just does.