A futures contract is a type of derivative which allows an underlying instrument to be either bought or sold at a future date in time, at a predetermined price.

The date is known when the contract is entered into, and is called the maturity date of the future.

Various characteristics of the underlying instrument are also specified by the futures contract; these depend largely on the underlying instrument

For example, an oil futures contract will specify in addition to the number of barrels of oil, a grade; that is, the amount of sulphur the oil may contain. Commodity futures will specify a delivery place - where the underlying instrument (e.g., pigs) are to be delivered when the contract matures.

The purchaser of a futures contract is allowed to acquire the underlying instrument at the predetermined price.

The seller of a futures contract is obliged to purchase the instrument, again at the predetermined price.

One enters into a futures contract by placing an initial amount of cash, known as margin with a broker. As the underlying instrument changes in value on a daily basis, the futures contract is marked to market; that is, priced to reflect the market value of the underlying instrument.

This process of pricing futures contracts to their market value on a daily basis is known as variation margin.

Futures contracts are inherently risky for speculation due to variation margin.

As hedging vehicles futures as essential for commodity producers as they allow prices to effectively be locked in.