May 1787

At home preparing for my journey to Philadelphia.

In the Afternoon Cols. Simms and Darke came in, the first expecting to meet the Govrenr. here, the other on business of the Potomack Compy. Both returned in the Evening.

Tuesday. 8th Took Mercury at in the Morning- at Noon and at Night.

The Weather being squally with Showers I defer'd setting off till the Morning. Mr. Chas. Lee came to dinner but left it afterwards.

A concise acct. of my Journey to Philadelphia, and the manner of spending my time there, and place where, will now follow--after whih. I shall return to the detail of Plantation occurrances as they respect my Crops & intended experiments agreeably to the reports which have been made to me by my Nephew Geo: Auge. Washington in my absence.

Wednesday 9th. Crossed from Mt. Vernon to Mr. Digges a little after Sun rise & pursuing the rout by way of Baltimore-dined at Mr. Richd. Hendersons in Bladensbg. and lodged at Majr. Snowdens where feeling very severely a violent hd. ach & sich stomach I went to bed early.

Thursday 10th. Very great appearances of rain in the morning, & a little falling, induced my, tho' well recovered, to wait till abt. 8 Oclock before seting off.