I find Visual Basic for Applications intriquing since not only did it replace application specific macro programming languages, it gave rise to the first cross platform virus; this came to most peoples attention in the form of the MS Word conceptvirus.

Not only was this the first virus that could be distributed my email, this was the first known virus that could propogate from PCs to Macs; before this virus' were platform specific, infecting their hosts only at the very lowest levels of the system.

The original implementation of this virus was benign, the anonymous author choosing to only create a stub named, appropriately enough, payload, with the terse but suggestive comment "that's enough to prove my point".

And make a point he did! A entire generation of script weenies have seized upon M$ usual bullshit buggy and security free implemenation of what is otherwise a good idea, to create a whole universe of derivative - not to mention destructive - viri.

And Microsofts solution? Rather than do it the right way, creating a virtual machine with an intrinsic security mechanism inside applications where said VBA executes (gee, does this sound familiar?) they now offer a modal dialogue box to the user, advising her to turn off macros.

Elegant.