The movie Total Recall was based, very loosely, on a Philip K. Dick short story, rather unfortunately titled We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Give the man his due, but thinking up titles was not normally his strong point. The story was, to my opinion, much cooler than the rather mediocre Paul Verhoeven movie, but there weren't nearly as many explosions.

Standard Philip K. Dick tropes of confusion over the nature memory and subjectivity of reality, apply, in what Kesper North termed a series of "Matrix-esque mindfucks". Let me get something off my chest: Phillip K. Dick almost singlehandedly perfected the fine art of the mindfuck while Keanu Reaves was still smirking with his baby teeth. Every story and movie which noodles around with the "Oh my God, what if everything I know is actually a clever illusion?" school of mindfuckery owes a great debt to Dick, and most of them don't pull it off nearly as well as he did.


All of writeups belows that talk about the philosophical origins of uncertainty of identity are substantially correct - I was talking about the idea more as a literary trope than a philosophical one, though I think the story of Chuang Tzu/Zhuang Zhou and the butterfly blurs the lines a good deal.