1.

An instrument of torture made out of plastic. It is commonly found in the primary school classroom and is used either singley or in groups to create soul-destroying noise made up of shrieks and whistles.

2.

A flute-like instrument dating from late prehistory, but only really coming into its own in the 15th century where it takes on its modern form. Renaisscence music of the 16th century made much use of the recorder, though it has dropped out of popularity in later periods. The renaisscence recorders were wooden and had limited range restricted to lower registers. These evolved into the more refined wooden recorders of the Baroque period, which are more like those in use today, with a greater range and softer sound.

The recorder is a very popular instrument, especially in schools as it is easy to teach. (Though harder to listen to!) Unlike a string intrument, notes can be formed on your first go at playing by blowing through the top and placing your fingers on the evenly spaced holes. Unfortunately however, over-blowing leads to squeaking, and other such unpleasant noises, (a fact soon learned and exploited by mischeivious children!). In well practised groups however, the recorder is a joy to listen to as it covers a wide range of registers from bass to descant, and has a wide and varied reportoire.

3.

Along with the penny whistle, the instrument of choice among homeless buskers due to it's light and portable nature. (At least that appears to be the case in York).