My sister-in-law called to tell me that it was snowing up in Dogpatch, so my carpool buddy and I took off from the Sacramento River Valley and headed north. We were very close to home and had almost climbed to 1700 feet but the roads were still clear and dry. Then, suddenly, a line of cars ahead, a policeman: it was a chain check. But only for cars going higher, to Wiffle Valley. To us he only said, "Be careful."

Well, a few miles from home and still no sign of snow, when suddenly the rain turned to these strings of white yarn. The wind must have been blowing pretty well, because they were falling almost horizontally. Still, it wasn't sticking.

Then, within a mile of home, it got deep and heavy.

Within a few feet of home, it got dark. I thought it was our old friend The California Power Crisis, but instead it was a good old fashion tree falling on a power line somewhere down below.

No power for three hours. Then it came on for a half hour and was off again. A friend came by and dropped off some firewood, so we had heat. We sat in the firelight with the neighbors, my daughter crying to see Scooby Doo and to turn on the light, so the neighbors went home and we went to bed.

The power kept going on and off all night. When it goes off our thermostat makes some weird chirps; when it comes on the answering machine and VCR clear their throats and the refrigerator kicks in. So I was waking up and down all night.

By morning it was all melting.