On October 30th, 1988, the NEC PC Engine was borne into the world of video games. It was the first system to utilize 16-bit graphics, which meant prettier software. It was way ahead of its time, as Sega's 16-bit Mega Drive wouldn't appear until 1989 and Nintendo's Super Famicom wouldn't appear until 1990. The PCE was immensely popular in Japan, living healthily until 1994, when NEC unveiled its 32-bit PC-FX system (which didn't live as healthily).

The PCE's Western counterpart, the TurboGrafx-16, was released in 1989, and went directly up against Sega's Western counterpart of the Mega Drive, the Genesis. America loved the Genesis but pretty much ignored the TG16. Nintendo's Super NES eventually destroyed them both after a bloody advertising war, but the TG developed an immense American (and European) fan base, with obsessed video game collectors especially loving towards the system. NEC was definitely an innovator in video games, and this node is dedicated to their work.

So here's the list of most of NEC's PC Engine-based hardware, along with links to some software nodes.

Names are organized alphabetically, not chronologically! Dates are in the nodes where applicable!

Companies Responsible for this Whole Mess:

Japanese "PC Engine" Series:

"PC Engine" Series Accessories:

North American "TurboGrafx-16/TurboDuo" Series:

"TurboGrafx-16/TurboDuo" Series Accessories:

CD-ROM² & Super CD-ROM² System & Arcade Cards

Noded Software:
(Some nodes refer to different system versions. Those are noted in the parentheseses.)

Otherworldly: