I would like to point out a few components that make this a truly great film in my opinion.

Eli Wallach outperforms both Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef by far.  His interpretation of Tuco's character is right on the spot.  Just by looking at him you can imagine he is up to no good.  He is the kind of man that, if you met on the street, would make you immediately check for your wallet to see if it's still in place.  His beady eyes, his nervous laughterGreed exudes from his character.

Humour.  Almost every scene with Tuco brings a smile to my face, but Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef) has a very funny scene when he meets his employer at the beginning of the film ("I think he wanted me to kill you"1).

There's a very touching scene in the monastery, when Tuco meets his brother (Father Pablo Ramirez) whom he hasn't seen since they were kids.  Tuco's argument for becoming a bandit almost brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it, and so does his attempts to dissimulate to Blondie (Eastwood) the fact that his brother cast him out, even though there was a half hearted attempt by Pablo to seek forgiveness.

Tuco's first scenes in the cemetery, running like a madman in search of the tomb where the gold is hidden.  Makes me wonder how a semi-literate man can read so fast ("So long, idi... idi..." -- "Idiots.  It's for you"1).

The final showdownMexican standoff style.  The true genius of Sergio Leone shines in this scenes.  Long cuts that become shorter and shorter and faster and faster until we can see each fighter eye to eye, and then... bang!  It's over.

And so shines the genius of Ennio Morricone, all throughout the movie.  The music is a truly integral part of this film.  Non intrusive and never out of place.


1: I'm paraphrasing. But those of you who have seen this movie, know what I'm talking about.