/me taps on the mike.

Ahem, is this thing on?

I've been around a while. To save you the trouble of looking at my homenode, I guess I first made an account here on Tue June 29, 1999 at 12:58:37 (8.4 years ago ). I was probably at work slacking off. Almost immediately, I began to write nodes and almost immediately, after spending what I felt was an appropriate amount of time in Everything University, I started getting hammered by the power structure. My writeups were nuked. When I was lucky, I received "Please, just don't" messages in the catbox. Usually, I just had to languish, wondering why my pearls of unfiltered genius had not been appreciated by the Power Structure. In short, it pissed me off so I fled.

Then I came back and wrote a ton of factual nodes. That went better.

For a time, I participated here, in the catbox, and on E2's IRC channel. I wasn't obsessive or online 24-7, but I had time to kill and wanted to help out here. I wanted to be part of the experience. I asked around to see whether or not I could become a content editor. I emailed and messaged Dem Bones. I did all the things I was told to do but the honors never came.

Eventually I grew tired of the hand-wringing of this place (something that's always been here), the cliquishness of the in-crowd, the multiple barriers to entry, and the unfriendliness of the place to new people. And, frankly, I got tired of essentially writing high school research papers for nothing but a few, let's face it, rather meaningless rewards.

So I fled.

Since fleeing, I have wafted in and out of this place, like a bad smell. I read a node or two, using this place like a hipster supplement to Wikipedia, rounding out my research with the snarkiness and wit that this place has always had. But it's been a long time since I had a desire to help, participate, or contribute. You can probably glean my reasons from this rather pointless daylog. If E2 disappeared tomorrow forever, I wouldn't miss it. For me, E2 is like that old girlfriend you google every couple of years to see whether she's done anything interesting, married and got fat, or died.