This is not an original idea. It is paraphrased from memory and came from an introductory passage in the novel, "The Frog Pond" by Joyce MacIver.


Back to the frog pond


There was once a little man, of little consequence, in a little town. One day, the little man began packing up all his belongings and his neighbors asked him, "Where are you going?"

"I am going to Timbuktu," the little man replied. The neighbors, in shock, said, "Don't jinx it! Don't you mean, 'I'm going to Timbuktu, God willing'?" "No, I mean I'm going to Timbuktu", he replied.

So God turned the little man into a frog. He lived in the frog pond for seven years, whereupon God turned the frog back into the little man. The little man went back home and commenced packing. Again, the neighbors inquired, and again were told, "I'm going to Timbuktu". Again he was sternly warned not to jinx it and again he stubbornly replied, "No, I mean I'm going to Timbuktu". He then paused and added, "...or else back to the frog pond".

Added after feedback: Side note, I occasionally find myself, after saying that I plan to do something, wanting to add, "...or else back to the frog pond", which would be significant to me but opaque to anyone who doesn't know the back story.