A persistent rumour claims that Kentucky Fried Chicken shortened its official name to 'KFC' because genetic manipulation had supposedly made the meat used to no longer be legally classifiable as chicken. This is patently ridiculous, as scrutiny of the menu in any KFC—or, for that matter, the quote in Twiin's writeup elsewhere on this page—shows that their chicken is indeed referred to as chicken, repeatedly and with no legalistic quibbling. Yet, the rumour persists; like the absurdist supposed description of life in the 1500's, like the infamous Good Times virus hoax, like the supposed speech by Kurt Vonnegut, like the saccharine e-mail forward attributed to George Carlin, like any number of jokes that become folklore through quiet removal of inconvenient plausibility-destroying details, this dandelion-hardy rumour stands as testament to the extraordinary credulity of human beings.

Oh, and as for the Colonel's secret recipe, William Poundstone in his book Big Secrets found Original Recipe chicken to contain eight and only eight ingredients: chicken (of course), cooking oil, skim milk, eggs, flour, salt, black pepper, and MSG. No matter—even if you made an exact duplicate of their chicken, they'd still outsell you on name recognition alone.